Tuesday 4 December 2012

Blanket Box Re-Upholstering


When my husband and I first moved in together, many moons ago, we were fresh out of University and took a flat whose rent was far too high because I loved the Neo-Georgian style of the building (I'm a sucker for a pretty façade) and so we had next to no money for furniture. Various kind friends and family donated things and we each had a few pieces from our student digs and from that we cobbled together our first 'home'. I spent a few weeks that summer, in the conservatory of our student place, painting everything I could from the things we had been given and bought some remnant fabrics to make cushions. It was fun, borne from necessity, but it's something I have continued to do as there never seems to be a stage where you can afford everything you want - and it also allows me to bring some individuality to our home.

One of the items given to us was this:




This blanket box was given to us by my husband's mother. When it came to us it was plain pine and had been well used. It is antique, but more of the vintage variety than the Chippendale. I gave it a few coats of Aged White and added a 3" foam pad, wadding and some ticking fabric I bought a few years ago. It's far from a perfect upholstery job but it will now find a home in my living room to provide extra occasional seating and storage space for some of the sea of plastic toys which has invaded my house!



The fairly neutral colours of the piece should also allow it to be used elsewhere in my home in the future. Always a bonus!

Coco Blue


1 comment:

  1. so cozy and charming!

    hope you'll have a moment to stop by, and i'm hosting a giveaway as well today:
    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/12/personalized-lovely-giveaway.html

    peace to you.

    michele

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your messages and will try to answer any question you may have, so please, ask away!