Saturday 1 December 2012

Desk Makeover


Last night I managed to finish painting the small desk I started last week. It's a desk I've had for a few years now and the veneer was beginning to chip in places so I thought it was time for it's long over due makeover to take place.

Originally I had envisioned it painted a soft blue/grey colour, but this desk lives in my hallway which gets very little natural light and is painted a green grey colour (Mizzle by Farrow and Ball) and the blue just wasn't going to work. So, instead it is Aged White by Crown.

I kept the drawer and back natural wood to add a little warmth to the piece, and polished the brass hardware. There's a little touch of distressing on some corners and I've finished it with clear wax. I really like how it's turned out.

It's not perfect (what is?) but this is a piece of furniture which is used and inevitably that means some knocks and dings and I didn't want to hide that with paint. Furniture in a home should always serve a purpose and never be too precious to use (especially in a home with a baby and cats).This little makeover will give the desk a new lease of life so it can continue being useful in my home.

A quick recap of how it looked before


And after



You may have noticed the wreath in the picture above, this is another project I am working on, now it's December, and hope to share with you soon. Also in the pipe line are a festive table and some Christmas decorating.

Enjoy your weekend!

Coco Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your messages and will try to answer any question you may have, so please, ask away!